Kitchen Design & Renovation Clifton VA
In February 2016, I received a phone call from a lovely lady who had recently moved into her home in Clifton, Virginia with her husband and teenage son.
She said she called me because she reviewed my work and client reviews online, and could tell that I was not a “cookie cutter” type designer.
We met on a February day in her outdated kitchen (see “before” photo above.) She immediately began showing me her collage of inspirational photos. “Wow”, I thought: this is definitely not our standard all-white typical kitchen project.
Aesthetic elements that inspired my client included:
- an old wood beam that she and her husband had purchased on a “whim” because of its beauty;
- copper elements — a collection of copper mugs that she wanted to display;
- multicolored ledgerstone, which was the surround of her fireplace in the Great Room;
- blackish steel beams — an industrial element that would provide the structural support required.
We had a clear starting point for the aesthetic elements. But what to do with the awkward kitchen layout?
Directly behind the kitchen was the laundry room, which awkwardly shared the kitchen sink run as you turned the corner to come into the kitchen.
If you look at the before photo below (the sink is not in view because it is on the other side of the room!), you can see that if you were cooking and needed to visit the sink (or vice versa), you would have to cross the room to the other side.
The other element that bothered my client was a single column dividing the Great Room from the kitchen. She wanted to eliminate it. She also wanted to convert the laundry room into a pantry and mudroom.
I examined the rooms’ existing configuration and proposed the following changes. (Any structural or other changes were confirmed and fine tuned by our structural engineer, Rob Fling, and Guy Brannock, Brannock Enterprises.)
- Relocated the sink to the island;
- Elongated the shared laundry/kitchen room wall and simultaneously pushed it back away from the kitchen
- Because my client wanted many appliance conveniences in the kitchen — including a 48″ refrigerator/freezer — we had to shift our thinking. There was not enough room for a 48″ built-in refrigerator/freezer along with the tall micro/single oven cabinet. So I proposed the idea, which appears to be trending nowadays, of substituting a GE 36″ refrigerator in the kitchen and an 18″ Thermador freezer to be located in the pantry.
- Elongated the main gas range top wall by eliminating the wing-wall on the right and reducing the doorway width into the Keeping Room.
The key aesthetic elements, which involved collaboration with and inspiration from my client included:
- Incorporating the wood beam into the hood over the GE Monogram 48″ gas range-top;
- Mirroring over the pantry and 18″ Thermador Freezer;
- Continuing with the fireplace existing multi-colored ledgerstone theme throughout the kitchen, pantry/mud/laundry mudroom and powder room;
- The structural beam would also serve as an aesthetic dividing the Great Room and Dining Room from the kitchen yet still allowing for an open layout concept
- Floating shelves and wood countertop in a similar (Oak) wood specie as the wood beam;
- LED lighting–strip for wall cabinets and puck for floating shelves;
- Copper sink, faucet, pendants, and cabinet hardware;
- Engineered quartz for all countertops (except for wood top area).
Thermador 18-inch Built in Freezer Column with Ice & Water Dispenser
T18ID900LP – Innovation A touch-screen TFT display panel allows intuitive control over your entire refrigeration system. Performance SoftClose® Drawers and Product.
Monogram 48″ Professional Gas Rangetop with 6 Burners and Griddle (Natural Gas) ZGU486NDPSS
Monogram 36″ Built-In All Refrigerator
Extending across the door and wrapping beautifully around the edges; A Monogram signature, slim tubular handle enhances the overall look.
GE Ice Maker 15-Inch – Nugget Ice | UNC15NJII
High nugget ice production produces up to 56 pounds of ice per day.
Signature Hardware 30″ Kembla Copper Farmhouse Sink
A shining example of copper’s natural beauty, this farmhouse style sink features smooth texture, earthy tones, and a beautiful living finish. Made with quality craftsmanship and from solid copper, it is sure to lend both aesthetic value and functionality
Williams Sonoma – Baltimore Pendant, Polished Copper
Inspired by the fixtures that lit stairwells and shop floors in the early 20th century.
Shenandoah Furniture Gallery – Farm Tables
Beautiful handmade farmhouse tables and reclaimed wood furniture.
Light Silt CQ 3CM Quartz Slabs & Countertops | Cosmos Granite
Light Silt CQ 3CM Quartz is SLAB available at Cosmos Granite and Marble, Washington. Light Silt CQ 3CM is a China origin and lies in Quartz group, in Multi pattern.
Steyn Kitchen Faucet with Spring Spout
For cleanup and prep, the Steyn Kitchen Faucet moves with you, thanks to its flexible coil feature and pull-down spray. This well-designed faucet features a ceramic disc cartridge.
The Tile Shop – Copper Rust Architectural Tile
If you are tired of your current kitchen and looking to upgrade it to suit your current lifestyle and design preferences, give me a call.
I can save you time, money and stress by helping you define and refine your kitchen renovation ideas and your remodeling budget, assisting with the selection of cabinetry, countertops, appliances and all the other fixtures and finishes that go into a new kitchen, and coordinating the delivery and installation of your new kitchen with your contractor or builder.
You can reach me by phone or text at: (703) 801-6402; or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.